Sunday, June 10, 2012

a member shares her post about the Elegance of the Hedgehog



Joanne shares her post on the elegance of the Hedgehog, thank you Joanne, i am still in the middle of it but truly enjoying this new discovery.



I joined La Porte Rouge's Book Club at the beginning of this year, because I felt that I had neglected my reading for far too long. And I am so glad that I did, I have rediscovered my thirst for the written word and have read incessantly since then....

I'll make a list one day.

THEN

I discovered another wonderful thing! My new and beautiful friend V  from A Butterfly In My Hair 
was the first guest to suggest a book for us all to read. 
I was literally jumping up and down with excitement that she suggested this book, because she had recently recommended the film (which I loved so much thank you v.)

This book by Muriel Barbery is genius.  I read it with a pen in my hand to underline all the wonderful, life confirming things she wrote  through the voices of two amazing women.

Renee - a 54 year old concierge, and Paloma a very intelligent 12 year old that reads Japanese Haikus.

It is the perfect story of learning to live and love again.

One of my favourite quotes:

"...it's now that matters:  to build something, now, at any price, using all our strength. Always remember that there's an old people's home waiting somewhere and so we have to surpass ourselves every day, make every day undying. Climb our own personal Everest and do it in such a way that every step is a little bit of eternity."

And :

"There's so much humanity in a love of trees, so  much nostalgia for our first sense of wonder..."

Thank you v! xx

2 comments:

  1. i am SO glad that you cherish this book so deeply too my dear j!!!!!: )
    my copy is also heavely underlined...ha-ha....

    seeing those naturepieces at your desk warms my heart and makes me happy!!

    love
    vibeke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I have missed you dear friend!
      Will catch up properly soon!

      hugs and love
      xx

      Delete